Emperor's Finest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Tournament, 2nd Round

2 posters

Go down

1st Tournament, 2nd Round Empty 1st Tournament, 2nd Round

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 am

Greetings gentlemen. I thought that since we are officially half-way through the tournament it might be useless to talk about our overall thoughts so far.

I'd especially like to talk about game 909 since it is the only one we're losing. Do we have any ideas to turn it around? Remember we do not have to 'beat' them. Just get more score. I truly 100% do not see us (at best) surviving and taking out one of them. Frankly I do not even know which one we could take out. Which leaves us to expanding our score with NPCs. Which carries its own dangers of losing too many troops and opening ourselves to invasion. Ideas??? We need something. Hell if we could even turn this one into a tie I'd be ecstatic. Oh and I need cash... badly. Smile

What mistakes did we make? How would you play differently given another chance? My only comment is that I would probably have asked Germany to trade territories on day 1 so that I could have a base of operations on the mainland. Probably Breslau for Umea (or he would just give me Breslau in exchange for free lumber, something). Beyond having a safe haven (where I didn't lose morale) and could help bring my iron capacity to bear by building up more forts I don't see much that I would have done differently. My economy is booming and my military tactics weren't bad at all considering the position I had to fight from.

Game 912. What can I say? There have probably been a bucket load of minor mistake, but nothing even worth remembering. I doubt I would change much if I were given the chance to play it again. Maybe bring arty to Tromsoe haha. Sweden has been successfully invaded, Germany and A-H are dying. Italy is left alone and I'm confident will fall before the game ends. Morocco... will probably survive. I don't see it being worth the resources to even try and take them out. If we get a battleship, sure. Otherwise if we're left with time after our other 4 opponents are defeated I say we just take a couple NPCs.

Game 913. Another victory, but despite the fact that it looks like another big victories I have many thing I would change about my performance. Not leaving Nancy to rebel is first and foremost. That still bits deep. I would have conducted my campaign in France much different overall in fact, given another chance. I truly think our victory here is more due to our opponents poor performance than our own good conduct. Disagree if you will, but it's how I view this game.

One thing I would change (given the chance) in every game? I would have made far less sneak attacks since it has ruined my relations and even cost me an unnecessary war in Game 909.

My biggest thought right now? I hope that 2 victories out of 3 are good enough to advance us...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://llef.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

1st Tournament, 2nd Round Empty Re: 1st Tournament, 2nd Round

Post  Zabralkan Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 am

How to turn around game 909? I think that it will be already hard enough to just keep it the way it is. I think that we should take defensive positions, and keep what we have. *perhaps* if the chance raises, taking over Denmark when we recover some troops and have well fortified positions. Trying an attack on any country now would be suicidal (It would leave a huge opening for them to attack us) Well, that is my opinion.

About the review, I think that our main mistake was to delay so much about the AI. That and only that was what, in short term Germany got occupied. He wasn't defended either by English half troops or sweden whole troops. We lagged on that. In game 913 we would've occupied France quickly as hell if we launched an attack from Germany, England, Italy and Spain, but again, Spain was delayed with portugal and England with Iceland. But the good thing is that we've learned about that, and we won't make that mistakes again.

Other lesson, that I am the one who most suffered it, is that we must always declare the war before attacking an enemy. That way, the AI will still give us RoW. I was pinned down up until now because of that. Also, another thing I learned is that you can never send the command "attack" with the artillery. That will make the artillery chase down the enemy and that usually makes the artillery and easy target.

I think we should make a post in "General" with this tips, so that we don't make the same mistake twice and everyone learns.

Zabralkan

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Absolutely we will make a tips and guides section Zab. That is why I feel we must talk this tournament over, since it is the first serious test of our alliance skills. There is no doubt that we are all excellent players alone or in small groups but this my first significant experience with 5v5 games, which I imagine holds true for most (if not all) of us.

I agree with 909. But I do have one serious question to ask here. Where the /hell/ is A-H getting all these troops?! They must all be transferring him troops. Just look at the casualties he's taken and the number he's still fielding. He's either cheating or receiving troops from the other players. Only two way the numbers work.

In my defense in game 913 I did have to defend from a Swedish attack early on and I was forced to keep significant troops in Prussia to watch the Russians and deter them. Like I said I could have used my troops better, but there is no way I was committing more than I had. I think Britain was also at a disadvantage with being forced to amphibiously assault. So the main thrust was up to Spain and Italy any way you cut it... at least until Britain managed to secure a foothold, then he could pour at least half his force into France.

Yes, the moral of the story is that surprise attacks should only occur in very certain situations (I'm they can be useful, occasionally). But very, very rarely. By the book from here on out.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://llef.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down